SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
October 3rd and 22nd (multiple dates): Curbside Packet Pick-Up
– Click here for exact dates, times, and locations for you to pick up your swag bag!
– If you purchased our Packet Mailing upgrade by September 25th, you should receive your packet in the mail prior to the start of our ride period on October 10th. You can still order packet mailing here, by clicking Register and selecting our Packet Mailing option. Bear in mind that mailed packets ordered at this point may not be received prior to your ride. If you have any questions, please reach out to Hilda Schmelling at HSchmelling@HabitatEBSV.org.
October 10th: Ride Period Begins
October 24th: Finish Line Celebration at 6 p.m. PST
October 25th: Ride Period Ends
Follow Cycle of Hope on Facebook for news and updates on the 2020 ride!
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CYCLE OF HOPE
WHEN TO RIDE
Riders can ride anytime between October 10th and October 25th.
Things to consider when choosing a time to ride:
– Weather and air conditions – Earlier rides allow for cooler temperatures and be sure to check PurpleAir.com to account for air quality.
– Traffic – Choose a time of day when you can anticipate safe riding conditions.
– Friends – If you’re riding with friends, make sure you coordinate a time when you can all safely ride.
WHERE TO RIDE
Official Cycle of Hope Courses
While we may not be able to experience the courses together, cyclists can still expect beautifully curated rides. Route options still include courses designed for beginners, intermediate riders, Metric Century riders, and Century riders, but this year we’ve offered options in both the Silicon Valley and East Bay.
Things to keep in mind when riding an official Cycle of Hope course:
– No roads will be closed.
– No signage will be on the road directing riders. Riders on the official Cycle of Hope courses will use our ride app, RaceJoy, for turn-by-turn directions.
– While this year’s ride won’t offer aid stations and SAG support, your packet will include the Patelco Credit Union “mobile water station” and goodies from our partners to sustain you on course. We will also have some resources for you in our Virtual Community from our official Bike Shop Sponsor, Mike’s Bikes, to make sure your bike is tuned up and you are ride-ready.
– Make sure you’ve properly inflated your tires before you take off and bring along an extra tube and C02 to inflate your tire in case of a flat. The Patelco multi-tool found in your swag bag can help!
– Remember to lube up your chain.
– No on-site medical support will be provided. Please call 9-1-1 if you experience an emergency.
Ride Anywhere Option
Not sure where you want to go come ride day? Or, got a different path in mind to meet your distance goal? No problem – Hop on your bike and ride where the wind takes you with the RaceJoy app open and started. You’ll get progress updates on your mileage as you move. Just make sure you know where you are going since the “Anywhere” option does not include directions.
Runners, Walkers, Hikers
If you’d like to run, walk, or hike your selected distance, follow the Ride Anywhere option instructions above. Even if you’re not riding a bike, you can still fire up RaceJoy for mileage tracking, progress updates, and uploading official results.
* Whether you ride, run, walk, or hike – if you plan to complete the mileage in multiple sessions, we do not recommend using RaceJoy because the tracking and live audio messages will start over with each new session. Instead, use your favorite activity tracker or just enjoy the ride technology-free! Once you have reached your mileage goal, go here to submit your results manually.
If you are completing Cycle of Hope on your Peloton or another at-home trainer, the RaceJoy app will not be able to track your ride. But, don’t worry! You can still manually log your ride with a simple form and be a part of the Cycle of Hope experience. Click here to submit your results manually and officially record your achievement!
HOW TO RIDE
1. Download RaceJoy: Download the RaceJoy app to your smartphone from the App Store or Google Play. It’s free!
2. Search for your event: Go to Featured Races to locate Cycle of Hope, and click on the distance you registered for.
3. Set Up: Follow the prompts carefully to get properly set up for the ride. The app will ask you to “Enter Bib #” you can click here and find your bib number starting on October 10th. *Note: It can take about 24 to 48hrs after registering for your bib number to generate. If you plan to register and ride the same day, you can click “OK” without entering a number when the system asks for you to “Enter Bib #” but you will need to click here to submit your results manually.
4. Ride: Carry your phone during the ride and click START MY RACE immediately before you begin your ride.
Ride from Anywhere Option
If you chose one of the “Anywhere” ride options, you have the freedom to design your own course or find a course already designed by fellow cyclists using apps like Strava. Just chart or find your course before you ride, and on ride day, fire up both RaceJoy and your route app. By using both apps, you’ll get directional cues from your route app, but you won’t miss out on mileage tracking and custom messages from the Cycle of Hope team, cheer squads, and more from RaceJoy!
JOIN THE COMMUNITY… VIRTUALLY!
VISIT OUR VIRTUAL COMMUNITY
Our 2020 Virtual Community is LIVE! This is a central location for participants to visit for our start line video, training and ride prep tutorials, a sneak peek at our finish line festival, and – most importantly – the chance to connect with other riders by posting comments, sharing photos, and much more!
One thing quarantine has shown us is the power of connections. Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, tag us in your photos and highlights from your ride, and use the hashtag #TogetherWeRide. Your photos may be featured during our finish line celebration and could even earn you prizes!
Speaking of celebration… Join us on October 24th at 6 p.m. PST in our Virtual Community for a finish line celebration to remember! Our virtual party will honor your hard work, share stories of your impact, and celebrate the accomplishments of our entire Cycle of Hope community with prizes and music! Stay tuned for more information.
FUNDRAISING AND REFERRALS
Cycle of Hope is more than a ride. It is a hand up for families, ensuring decent, affordable, stable housing – and the strength, stability, and self-reliance that come with it. Fundraising for Habitat for Humanity is more important than ever before, as a health crisis reminds us of the critical importance of housing, and an economic crisis pulls these opportunities even further out of reach for thousands here in the Bay Area.
Not only will your fundraising support Habitat for Humanity, but it could earn you prizes! Recruit a team or fundraise to earn prizes like swag, discounts, and more!
Click here for fundraising tips and the prizes you could win!
Click here for Cycle of Hope FAQs. Still have questions? Please reach out to Hilda Schmelling at HSchmelling@HabitatEBSV.org.